Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Well Deserved

I almost posted about these costumes when I saw the movie months ago, but decided that nobody would actually care about them, so I hesitated. However, I still had the file and decided to post them. Good thing too, they're lovely! Please note the ruching on the day dresses, and observe the button holes on everything-- that my friends, is called detail. 

Rarely do the Oscars give the golden boy to the movie that deserved it; this year they rightly chose THE DUCHESS for best costume design; every wardrobe piece was perfectly suited to each scene and character, and was beautiful period work as well, the hats too. (The wigs were also good, but "Amazing Grace" still takes the cake for wigs, the exception being Georgiana's towering wig! That really was a piece of work. Anyway.) 

Before I forget, I must mention three more things. #1. The soundtrack is unforgettable, stunning work that I loved just from the trailer. #2. There is more emotion in this movie than most I've seen in the last three years. #3. I cannot bear to see this film again. Its thematic storyline is awful, horrible, no good, very bad, depressing, and tortuous. That being said, it is an excellent piece of film: well executed, witty, and dramatic. 

Reaching high vertically (importantance) and horizontally (perfection), THE DUCHESS scores high on the J. Evans Pritchard, PhD scale. "Showing the [movie] to be truly great..." 

OPEN PICTURES IN NEW WINDOW TO VIEW LARGER. ELSE YOU WILL MISS THE POINT OF THE EXERCISE BY NOT SEEING THE DETAIL WORK. THIS MEANS YOU!





2 comments:

Melissa said...

NICE DEAD POETS REFERENCE. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!

Rachel EM said...

I'm glad someone else in the family is going to see it! Be careful though, I meant what I said; the movie is incredibly well made, but the story will leave you drained and horrified.