Friday, March 20, 2009

Dear Spring,

I forgive you for chasing away my beloved Winter, but only because you bring King Alfred with you. Next month please roll out the Iris. I'll also be waiting for tree blossoms, but there's no rush-- hold off the hot temperatures as long as possible.

Affectionately, Rachel.



Who is King Alfred? Aha! My favorite type of my favorite flower-- the daffodil. There are hundreds of types of daffodils, actually, categorized into 12 genera. Some daffodils are named after real people: Winston Churchill, Einstein, Johann Strauss, and... King Alfred.

Bet you didn't know that! That is, unless I've already told you. (Or if you're my dad, since I learned most of this from him). For more information on daffodils, read here or here.To learn more about the King Alfred daffodil, click here.

2 comments:

Rachel EM said...

Open that picture in a new window to see it full size. I'm tellin ya, it's worth it!

MomM said...

You'll have to come pick the ones in front of the house. They'll be up in about a week, so don't forget to take them!