Wednesday, March 4, 2009

No Strings Attatched

It's so windy today! I've nearly been blown over! Others may complain about the wind (or the dust) but I'm so excited I'm going to fly a kite! Which reminds me...

Check out these pictures of the kite festival of Gujarat, which happens during the Hindu winter festival of Uttarayan. Apparently during this festival all kite string is coated with a colored paste mixed with powdered glass. This mixture makes the line taut and sharp so that fliers can cut each other's kites.


Below, some decorative empty reels are waiting to be loaded with the special string. The kites are stacked nearby. Ooooh, color! I love it!




This adorable boy is selling kites at the kite market in
Dili Diwarja, India.

For more information about the festival click here, or for an editorial, click here.

1 comment:

MomM said...

Vicious kite fliers!!! Hope your kite doesn't get caught in the trees at the park! Oh memories!