Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Best of the Tonys: PARADE

I loathe finals. I detest formal schooling for all of its expectations, and I don't welcome its presence in my life. Too bad I have to take that ugly, stupid, drasted bitter with the batter and the schummina shhlemick kuh flattz.... 

I take great relief in telling myself that no matter what happens, no matter how I screw up, the outcome doesn't matter. The past few days I've summoned a particular lyric line to memory simply remind me of this fact; amends can always be made. 

If you've ever felt the same way, that your life is one huge mess and you're the only one to blame for it all, this is my message to you--no matter what you've done, you haven't "screwed things up beyond redeeming." And neither have I. 

From the musical PARADE, by Jason Robert-Brown. What a great show!*

"No! This isn't over!
No, the date's not set!
No, I won't wake up tomorrow
Drowning in my sweat!
Somehow I haven't, with my scheming,
Screwed things up beyond redeeming. 
The journey ahead may get shorter;
I might reach the end of my rope;
But suddenly loud as a mortar 
There is hope!
This is not over yet." 

*Parade has some of the best music I've ever heard in theater. 

Top songs: All the Wasted Time (duet that knocks the socks off of a thousand relationships), It Don't Make Sense ("Did you ever see her smile? Her smile was like a glass of lemonade."), People of Atlanta, Old Red Hills of Home, and Picture Show (the one Mom heard me sing in the car a gazillion times...). 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great sentiments and oh so true! Wish you could sing in my car again! (Sniff)ildentein

Rachel EM said...

That's easy. As soon as your hundred-dollar birth certificate arrives, and you get a license, give me a call and I'll sing on speaker. "GO ON GO ON GO ON GO ON, BESIDES I ONLY GO TO PICTURES THAT I HAVEN'T SEEN."