Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Shine Like a New Penny

Lincoln is the only person to be featured on a US coin for more than 100 years. His face was first featured in 1909, the 200th anniversary of his birth.


For the 150th birthday anniversary, the Lincoln Memorial penny was completed. I'm going to miss it; it was my favorite coin.


2009 is --you guessed it-- his 200th birthday, and this year these four penny designs will be issued. Have you seen them yet? I just saw the log-cabin this morning (which is how I found out about the new pennies in the first place).




According to Wikipedia, "in 2010, the cent's reverse will be redesigned again, with a new, permanent design being released into circulation. The redesign will bear an image that is emblematic of Lincoln's preservation of the United States as a single and united country. Lincoln will remain on the obverse, though a new obverse design is possible."


I really hope the 2010--foreseeable future penny isn't hideous.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow, I have to say that I don't really like the log cabin version of the penny, but appreciate the others. I'm with you...I'm hoping 2010's isn't hideous. :)

Rachel EM said...

Yeah, Leesha, that's cause we think alike and grew up in the house of Lincoln lovers.

Alicia said...

"The Land of Lincoln!" - guess the movie

Rachel EM said...

Um.... do I know this movie? I'm awfully curious