Monday, June 8, 2009

Best of the Tony's 2009: NEXT TO NORMAL

The new show on the block this year is Next to Normal, nominee for Best Musical and winner of Best Score, Best Leading Actress, and Set Design for the Tony Awards this year. (Billy Elliot might have won "best" new musical-- but hey, Ragtime and Wicked didn't win the "best" Tony either so we know the prize isn't everything.)

N2N's score is exactly what I like to hear and sing: deeply emotional, crystal clear mix placement, and goosebump raising harmonies. Top songs are "Superboy and the Invisible Girl," "Everything Else," and "You Don't Know/I Am the One."

The plot is blowing my mind: so different, so emotional, so stunning! Diana, the main character, is a mother suffering from bi-polar disorder and believes the illusion that her son is alive-- though he's been deceased years. Diana's son haunts her life and influences both her own daily decisions, and emotionally wounds the rest of the family: Diana's devoted husband and adolescent daughter who vainly tries to gain attention (insert "Superboy and the Invisible Girl" here for graphic irony).

With a script that includes things like "thank you, Doctor; Valium is my favorite color" and "these are a few of my favorite pills,"
Next to Normal has fully captured my interest.

P.S. You can keep Adam Lambert, Joni. I'd much rather take Aaron Tveit. ;)

No comments: