Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mark My Words, Melissa's Going to be Jealous

Yesterday I took a long, extended hike to Stewart Falls. I say "extended" because I took the trail from Aspen Grove, but didn't remember where it started and had to guess, and by guess I really mean climb up a hillside hoping to encounter the trail--"ah! there it is! it is back that way!" *smirk.* But the trail I found was actually 100 feet shy the altitude of the one I sought. I found the horse trail. Which was fine--never been on that one before--but it was extreeeeeeeemely muddy and much longer. Either way, still worth it.

I'm not sure I've mentioned this, but June brought unusual weather to Provo this year. "Rain twice a day! for two [weeks!] oh Wally, come back!" No, seriously-- rain everyday for two weeks--no joke. Whoa it was weird. Provo NEVER gets that much rain. Well, not in my living memory anyway, and certainly not in June. Why am I even mentioning this?

The. Falls. Were. Huge.


Swelled with both the rain and spring run-off (that summer has just barely been hot enough to produce,) Stewart Falls was bigger (by water flow) than I've ever seen before; so large that I must assume my Bernadette Peters voice to describe it. "Bigger. Much bigger. Much, MUCH BIGGER! Sooooo big...." that the mist hit me from a dozen yards away. So big that the rocks around the falls were all saturated-- even the ones on the side that you usually can sit on. And get this-- more water is coming out of Stewart Falls per hour than through Bridal Veil*. Whoa, dang, that there is a surprise.


Which brings me to another point. Deer Creek is at 100% capacity, and they've even been draining more out of it than usual. The pipes through the Canyon are draining water straight down the cliffs cause they're trying to get rid of it all. Utah Lake is at 101% capacity**. Provo River is overflowing in some places, and swelling its banks at most. I've never seen it so full! Tangent over, sorry.

I just wanted to tell you all about my jaunt through the aspen and fir wooded mountainside. My trek held wildflowers aplenty, fountains of bird song (with even a raven to caw at me), refreshing breezes, and just the right amount of sunshine. It was all so nice! And it smelled great, too.


What I think I liked best of all was the quiet. How glorious to be away from noise! Computers whirring, diswashers/washers'n'dryers churning, air conditioning turning on, too-loud conversation, cars passing in the street, TV's being on, raucous party music from the apt next door, and etcetera, altogether simultaneous cacophony is what I hear everyday. Upon reflection, methinks I'll be hearing the canyon calling me a little more frequently. I am "in my natural habitat; more at home here amongst the birds, the trees, and the flowers than in Vienna." To sum up, it was lovely, I breathed deeply, and exhaled many exclamations of...

""OHHHHH FOR THE JOY OF THE MOUNTAIN AIR!"


*according to the NRCS National Water and Climate Center, and my eyeballs which made me think to check the stats in the first place.
**Southeastern Utah isn't getting as much water as the rest of the state, but hey-- Lake Powell is expected to rise 17 feet this year, and that's not shabby!
***I dare you to name all of the quotes in this post. Alicia might be the only one who can do it.
****If you don't understand the geographical locations mentioned in this post, I humbly apologize. It's just that I mainly write this for my family who doesn't live in town with me anymore, and they'll know the lay of the land, so to speak.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Oh, how I long to be free.

Unknown said...

Oh Matt...freedom isn't the only desire! Oh, for the joy of the mountain...ANYTHING is the correct response. I hope you soaked it all in for me too Rach! Love the pictures...wish I was there...sigh

Alicia said...

Ever After...Saturday's Warrior...Into the Woods...Sound of Music...Sesame Street (in that order). And yes, I am WAAAYYY jealous. I really miss Stewart Falls, and the canyon, and Sundance. Sigh.