Friday, June 12, 2009

Buttercream Project #1: "Antoinette"

Usually there's an occasion for baking a cake like this. My purpose was simply to practice decorating, so choosing what words to pipe was somewhat new. What am I supposed to write, anyway? "Happy Un-birthday?" Lame! Laughing at myself I decided upon, "Let Them Eat Cake."


Everything you see here is buttercream frosting. Huzzah! No yucky fondant in my kitchen! This sugary glop was good enough to smack your lips on, and I had ever so much fun playing with it. I could barely contain myself. My roommates were all out, and I made happy use of my solitude listening to Claire de Lune and washing dishes. *sigh* I've spent so much time with friends lately, I'd forgotten how much I require and enjoy time to myself. Especially time alone in my kitchen. Nevermind-- back to the cake.

My "roses" need some extra practice. I made several dozen, going through pastry bag after pastry bag and refilling them over and over, just playing around, you know? Eventually I decided that I'd need to use a different (larger) petal tip to make roses, but that the one I was using (101 tip) was ideal for carnations. Besides, who's ever seen a carnation frosting flower on a cake? I think it's innovative and chic! Not to mention realistic, eh?

You're wondering how the buttercream looks so smooth? I combined the advice of several youtube decorators and SmittenKitchen: a "crumb coat" frosting layer to glue down pesky crumbs, adding a thicker top layer, and then using a flat bladed knife and wax paper to smooth it all down to this-could-be-Kansas-flat.

My other nifty trick was using a 5-point star tip instead of a 12. It makes ruffles instead of a shell; the result was less stuffy, less predictable, and slightly more romantic. Much preferred!

I let the cake sit overnight and brought it over to my sister-in-law's in the morning to make use of her camera. Also, I'm narcissistic and wanted her to gush about my lovely creation. (I can't shut up about how amazed I am that it turned out so well! Proud mother am I.) Anyway. While I was with Heather, playing with my adorable nephew, we decided to slice it open. Check out that edge! WHAHA!

Admit it-- you want to try some, don't you?

Last year "my birthday present to me" was the book SkyHigh; full of complicated recipes guaranteed to widen your eyes and make your mouth water. Things like "Chocolate-Hazelnut Nutcracker Cake," or "Banana Cake with Praline Filling and White Chocolate Ganache." Oy. My head is still reeling from my last attempt (at a Ginger-Lime cake) which was a near disaster.

This time I kept it simple-- I just wanted to practice frosting stuff! So I used a white box cake and added vanilla. A box cake can be delicious IF and ONLY IF you know my mother's nifty little secrets, of which there are many. Tee hee.



I pronounce buttercream project #1 to be a success. "Antoinette" is a light, summery, tasty confection. Come on over if you'd like a slice!


7 comments:

Unknown said...

AMAZING!!! I am sure it tastes as good as it looks.

Heather said...

Boy did it taste delicious. Seriously...ask Matt. I can't stop talking about it. I'm craving it SOO bad. Rachel?! Cake please. (jk). It really was divine though!

jessica said...

This is beautiful! It makes me want to practice (or develop from scratch) some cake skills. Love it!

Bill said...

It really is a thing of beauty. Did I mention I'm impressed? I'm impressed.

REALLY impressed.

Diana Mildenstein said...

Good job Rach! Aaron walked in when I was reading this post and he thought the frosting was fondant because of it's smoothness. I told him what you did and he was most impressed! I am too! I wish I could be there to enjoy your beautiful work.

Love you and miss you, and sorry that I missed you when I was in Utah.

--D

Alicia said...

Pretty as a picture. :)

shelly said...

This cake is amazing and gorgeous, Rachel! It looks fantastic and I'm so impressed at your skills. Personally, I like your flowers much better than roses. They're so predictable;)