Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Story of Schmuel, Tailor of Klimovitch

Click here for the lyrics to SCHMUEL, which is Yiddish for Samuel, in case you were wondering.

I am obsessed with this song. I discovered it two days ago when Joni told me I could watch the original broadway cast recording of "The Last Five Years," the musical, in its entirety online. Last 5 Years incidentally was written by none other than the brilliant Jason Robert-Brown (the guy who wrote "Parade" and "Songs for a New World"). More about him later. 

Having seen the whole show, I can say "the Schmuel song" is my favorite. I had several epiphanies watching this -- badly recorded -- clip starring Norbert Leo Butz (the original Fiyero from Wicked). The song reminds me of Hugh Nibley's concept of "Lunch is Free." 

I just love everything about this number. I DID say I was obsessed with it, didn't I?  "...Limb-o-vitch?" hahhaha

*Really, Mom, I'm posting this exclusively for you. No one else will care about Jason Robert-Brown OR the song. Besides, you're the only one I know who'll adore the Jewishness of the story. Also note the star-of-david atop the Christmas tree! Oh yeah-- this is the same show that "I hate these payless shoes" comes from. ...Ahem. Love you, Mom!* 

4 comments:

MomM said...

Amazing Rach! Loved it. Glad you included the words. It is hard to understand the lyrics sometimes.

MomM said...

P. S. Love you too!

Rachel EM said...

I know! "I SHOULD take out my teeth and go to bed... I'm sitting here with talking clocks instead."

Bill said...

The Last 5 Years in its entirety!?!?!?

Tell me where.

I've wanted to see this show for about 5 years (honestly, that's how long. Kind of funny...), but I never knew of a place where I could! Ever since I heard one of my friends perform "I'm Still Hurting," and just... yeah! Please... tell me where!