Monday, July 27, 2009

Yellow Spoon

Here you see Alicia, my niece Emma, and myself, making chocolate-chip cookies.

My sister Alicia (yay! she's having another baby soon!) kindly hosted our family gathering for the 4th of July festivities. The 4th is our biggest family holiday, so what that really means is that Alicia let everyone tromp around her house and make a mess. :) Her generosity extended to letting me use her kitchen, and I was grateful for the chance.

You see, several years ago when Alicia was married and moved away she took with her the magical yellow cookie spoon of yore. It is a plastic utensil used for decades of cookie-making in our parent's home. You can see it in the photo-- she's holding it in her hand, coated with floury cookie goop.

But let me repeat, so as to be perfectly clear-- when Alicia got married she TOOK the aforementioned precious yellow spoon. Granted, Mom gave it to her, but still. She TOOK it! All cookies I have made since that day have been deprived.

Poor cookie dough, to never know the touch of the beloved yellow spoon! Alas! What pangs of woe! Rue the day! Weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth, tearing of clothes, etc.

I was fortunate, therefore, to be granted use of the aforementioned stirring object whilst I used her kitchen to make chocolate-chip cookies over the glorious fourth. And they were magic! You know how I know? The double batch was completely gone before 24 hours had even passed.

Thank you, Alicia, and thank you, yellow spoon.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I must clarify...I did not TAKE the aforementioned spoon. It was my wedding gift from mommy. But I must agree that it has magical powers. You are welcome to it any time you visit Texas!