Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Rachel Reviews: Harry Potter 6


Hermione miserably watches Ron enjoy attention from Lavender Brown.

I went to the theater expecting to see a movie I'd enjoy, but not to expecting to see one I'd be really impressed with. It's just another Harry Potter movie, I thought. How good could it be? It's already categorized. I didn't feel moved by movies 2--5, and I expected 6 to follow suit. Surprisingly, this wasn't a "Harry Potter movie." This was a film of highest quality in direction, editing, script, character interaction, acting, in short-- in everything. And so funny! My gosh it was funny! (recovers giddiness) I mean...ah... particularly keen use of humor. ahem.


The 1st time Harry bonded with Dumbledore since the death of Richard Harris.

It was the character interaction I found most appealing. Rather than being witches and wizards at a far away magic school, each person jumped out of the silver screen and you could feel their lives, the way they felt. Instead of watching a movie, you were watching people and relating to them, learning with them. What I found even more impressive was the portrayal of evil being present, but resistible, and that sacrifice was often the only way of defeating it.


This is a superior piece of work. Five stars.


Far and away better than any movie I've seen this summer.* Way better than the other blockbusters... even better than Star Trek and UP! (Not to mention Wolverine, that great disappointment of a movie.) If you get the chance, please watch this.


Tom Felton portrays a desperate Draco Malfoy.

*
Which reminds me. If you ever get a chance to see The Hustler, starring Paul Newman, my advice is to find another Paul Newman film (I recommend Exodus) and stay far away from the Hustler. It was full of that overly-dramatic depressed fatalistic realism that old black and whites were fond of. Plus I hated the ending. Yuck.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you enjoyed it! I was expecting the commentary! Who did you go with---Millie wasn't available! (HA!)

Rachel EM said...

I know! Millie had to go and move to Amsterdam :( Normally I'd go with Joni, but she was in the UK. (Why are all my girlfriends in Europe?) So I went with Dylan and Bill-- and they were actually the best people to ever watch HPotter with. Dylan knows the books just as well as I do...