Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Green Thumb & Petunia Pride

Plants and I struggle with relationships. Just ask the feeble clinging-to-life pot of shamrocks in my living room. Hopefully getting a green thumb has more to do with practice than natural ability, cause I'm trying reeeeeally hard.

I've been making early preparations for my 2011 yard to be blooming terrific. (Does that count as a joke? It was supposed to, otherwise I'd have written terrific-ly. As in, adverb? ...anyway...) I bought fertilizer, swept away leaves and sticks blown in by winter winds, raked away dead grass, and soon I'll be turning over dirt to make nice, soft, drain-able flowerbeds for this years batch of petunias. 

Yaaaay petunias: cheap colorful flowers tolerant of Utah dry heat and blazing afternoon sunlight that won't die easily! Woot yeah! But what colors should I choose? My house has sea-foam green siding (built in '41) and I need flowers that work its color-quirk.


Picture found at Vista Landscaping

Some things you repeatedly tell yourself to do but don't get around to them. Last summer mine was "take a picture of my house covered in the petunias that I planted." Big surprise, I never took that picture. I lost my chance to preserve the memory of a great summer. Moping aside, I've decided that it's okay because this year it will look even better! (and I promise to take a picture so you can see it too.) I'm gonna GET that green thumb, baby!

Sorry I didn't post last week-- my Mom was in town and I was having too much fun to get on the computer. :) Miss you already, Mom.

2 comments:

MomM said...

Miss you too! ...and your thumb is already transforming!

Unknown said...

This is an incredible moving post. I am basically satisfied with your great work. You put truly exceptionally accommodating data. I am hoping to perusing your next post.
Ideal mortgages in Portugal