Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I want to go! I want to go! I want to go!

In view, the Kaiserdom (imperial cathedral) of Speyer, Germany. A vanguard of Romanesque architecture (medieval european), its innovations are still still studied and used today. I can see why; aside from being gorgeous, it is also humongous.


The the rosy colored stone in the interior strikes me as typical of German architecture, though that is just my personal hypothesis; every German cathedral I saw in the Holy Land had striped rose stone just like this, though not nearly on so grand or large a scale.



What I like most about Romanesque architecture is how the lifted archways denote grace, but also strength and stability. It isn't too frilly, but it isn't too plain.


Gosh, this place is amazing. I want to go! I want to go! Will somebody please give me plane tickets? I'd rather go to Germany than anywhere else in Europe! Including London!* Look at this corridor! It seems to go on forever! And it's up so high! DANG! Oh dear. I just used six exclamation points in a paragraph. I now need to "go home and re-think my life."


*Also including Paris and Rome. Sorry, Dylan. Wait, no...okay, maybe not Rome. But everywhere else!

2 comments:

Bill said...

I've been to Germany, and I'll admit, it IS gorgeous... But I was still incredibly disappointed that we couldn't leave the airport in London during our layover. Someday...

London and Sydney are my #1 foreign destinations.

Rachel EM said...

Sydney, huh? Never had much interest in the cities of Australia. The outback is a different story, though. Which makes me think.... hmmmm...cities...

Okay. Here's my list!

ROME
BERLIN
LONDON
ST. PETERSBURG
(and heaven help me, yes) PARIS
KYOTO
SALZBURG
COPENHAGEN
FLORENCE
PRAGUE
ISTANBUL
MUNICH
BUDAPEST
KIEV
VIENNA
TIRANA
EDINBURGH
POSITANO
STOCKHOLM
GRENOBLE
LEIPZIG
BARCELONA
AMSTERDAM
MONTREAL
LJUBLJANA
DAMASCUS
DUBLIN
CALGARY