Friday, January 21, 2011

Chicken Noodle Cold-Cure


I just found out that chicken soup actually can help reduce your cold symptoms. Go figure.
Apparently chicken contains a natural amino acid called cysteine, which can thin mucus in your lungs and make it less sticky so you can expel it more easily. 

I'm a vegetable-beef soup girl, myself. But Dylan LOVES chicken noodle. Our preferences aren't that helpful as far as Campbell's goes, though, cause processed canned soups don't work as well as the homemade types. 

For best results, make a fresh batch yourself. Better yet, add tons of pepper and hot spices. The spices will trigger a sudden release of watery fluids in your mouth, throat, and lungs, which will help thin down the respiratory mucus so it's easier to cough up and expel.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good site, huh?

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

What a fun little read. I love chicken noodle soup and totally thought it was myth that soup actually made you feel better. Good to know it actually works. I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog.