Thursday, July 15, 2010

Purslane


You know this weed? It's actually super healthy for you. It has more omega 3-fatty acids than any other leafy plant, and has vitamins, minerals, calcium, potassium, and iron in it too.

And even though Americans consider it a weed, it's actually cultivated and eaten regularly in Greece, England, Turkey, Mexico, and Japan.

When my Mom told me to try it I freaked out-- she'd pulled it up from a sidewalk crack and she expected me to eat it? I was totally surprised; purslane has a peppery taste, and is really great on sandwiches. This year I can't find any around my house, and I'm bummed. I've been craving it for days! I want purslane!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Find me some too!

Alicia said...

Interessante...I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try it. :) Way to go!