Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Geniunely Texan

My dearest love Dylan is away for a week working hard in Texas. We're blessed that he found a job, even temporarily, and hope the next job available will be closer to home.

Because he's in down there I figured I'd post summat of the yokel--er, local-- culture of Texas. While searching for "urban legends of Texas" on Google I ended up finding this lovely picture of a 97 lb rattlesnake that measured one inch more than 9 feet (everything really is bigger in Texas!). The photo was posted with the following comment:


"A reminder that these creatures are actually out there and no matter what you believe, sometimes they should get not only prescriptive rights to be there, but the full right of way. And here's how to cook 'em."

DEEP-FRIED RATTLESNAKE

1 medium-sized rattlesnake (3-4 lbs.), cut into steaks
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup cracker crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1 teaspoon salt
dash pepper

Mix dry ingredients. Whisk milk into beaten egg and use to dip snake steaks. Then coat them with dry ingredients. Fry, uncovered, in 400 degree oil until brown. Yum,Yum!

Rattlesnake steak? Gotta love the addendum, "they deserve the right of way, but before I forget, here's the best way to cook em."

P.S. I hope my beloved Gram doesn't read my blog. I'd hate to be responsible for her heart attack when she saw the snake.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Believe it or not, everything really is bigger is Texas. :) I've never seen a snake that big, but I found a little six inch one in my dining room this morning (already dead). Don't worry, Jacob will be replacing our weather stripping ASAP!