Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My Favorite Things: Movie Soundtracks

I owe my love of music to my parents and older siblings who wrapped it around me from a very young age. Thanks you for your example. The marvel of your talents filled my young eyes with wonder and has greatly influenced my life.

Film scores, in my opinion, are the true triumph of the symphonic world. I've been a passionate collector of them for many years, and they frequently make me cry, take my breath away, and make my heart beat faster. They can scare me too-- Jaws, anyone? I find in them more glory, beauty, and feeling than is available through any other source. I listen to them all the time! Just ask my husband-- he often mutters about how hardly anything on my iPod has words.

My father once complained that quality, refined music wasn't being written anymore. When I disagreed, he asked, "Yeah? When was the last time you heard a choral symphony?" My response was swift. "Last week. Superman Returns." The fact is that more symphonies are written today than ever before, and we owe that to the film industry. Isn't that wonderful? Finally something to love Hollywood for!

You all know I love movies, and you know a soundtrack can make or break my love for a film. Some movies use the score as a crutch, and some use it for their crowning achievement. Below are a few lists of what I consider "favorites". The following movie that I LOVE is a Janie-Thompson-esque medley of 16 movie themes that John Williams combined for an Oscars-tribute to musical scores. It's quite fun-- Daddy should especially like it. A bunch of movies he likes make the cut. My favorites too!




All-Time Hit List
Jurassic Park, Jumanji, Tuck Everlasting, Casper, Home Alone, Ever After, Little Women, Dances With Wolves, North & South, Cinema Paradiso, The Mission, Rudy, Beauty & the Beast/Pocahontas, Exodus, Patton, All of Ken Burn's documentary soundtracks, The Parent Trap, Last of the Mohicans, and October Sky.

Latest Fascinations
Rachel Portman's Cider-House Rules and The Duchess.
Ennio Morricone-- Once Upon a Time in America

My Top Composers
James Horner, John Barry, Alan Silvestri, Hans Zimmer, Alan Menken, Ennio Morricone, James Newton Howard, Thomas Newman, Patrick Doyle, Rachel Portman, Elmer Bernstein, and John Williams.

7 comments:

Rachel EM said...

Ten points if anyone can identify whose eyes are in the opening shot of that movie. Without cheating, please, gentlemen. :)

Rachel EM said...

The youtube movie.

Abigail said...

Wow! Finally somebody who feels the same way I do about that subject. I totally agree with like everything you just wrote. I too totally adore movie scores. They make me cry, they take my breath away and make my heart beat faster sometimes too. And so many of the other things you said I totally agree with. I'm so happy I'm not alone! (As for the eyes, I can't tell, but they look strangely familiar. Who is it?)

dave said...

I am also a huge fan of movie scores, and often enjoy them on their own, or main themes collected. I'm particularly into Morricone, Nino Rota, and other Italian composers of the 60's and 70's.

If you're into Morricone, you should check out my Spaghetti Western Concept Rap album, called "Showdown at the BK Corral." It's basically a Spaghetti Western over 9 tracks - very influenced by Morricone. I'd love to hear what you think of it! You can download it for free at sunsetparkriders.com

Melissa said...

your soundtrack movie mix cds are still the most played cds in my entire collection or on youtube. Unlike most people, I like to exercise to emotional soothing music, not rap or punk rock. I find running to the score from a river runs through it, or even love actuallly to be so very inspiring. Love it love it love it!

Unknown said...

What's her name from Hitchcock!!!???

Rachel EM said...

Mom is correct! The eyes belong to INGRID BERGMAN.