Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Baby Bag

Behold the Eddie Bauer messenger I bought at TJMAXX.

If the bag had come in an awesome color I'd have taken it but this was it.  Usually I'm the girl with a brightly colored purse, so the utilitarian look will be a change for me, but function was more important to me than color.
 
What I most wanted:
1. Easy storage for and access to: keys, wallet, and cell phone. 
2. Lots of pockets to hold things so they don't jumble into a mess. 
3. A bag I wouldn't be embarrassed to carry everywhere. 
4. Durable + easy to clean. Also won't start to look old. 

Everything I thought I might eventually have to stash in a diaper bag-- extra clothes, blankets, books, toys, snacks, changing kit*, meds, burp cloth, water bottle, etc.-- I brought to the store with me so I could really tell how a bag would suit my needs. Hands down this was the most functional and attractive choice.

 Why this particular bag:
1. My stuff has it's own section! I won't have to dig for my keys or phone and I can get to them with one hand. Most importantly, my clutch-wallet fits without a squeeze.
2. Changing system fits into it's own outside zipper pocket! Sweet. 
3. Dylan is pleased he won't be embarrassed to carry it. 
4. Slim! Even with all the junk inside! Half the diaper bags I saw resemble clunky luggage even before they're packed-- this does not.
5. Classy construction: the zippers glide open, it's lightweight, there's a very comfy shoulder strap AND a trim handle for easy pick-up, and it doesn't look cheap
6. With everything inside there was plenty of room to spare, and it was very organized.

Finally I found a diaper bag to suit MY needs. There was much rejoicing.

*I have a sensational all-in-one changing pad that holds diapers, wipes, and ointments, so I wasn't looking for a bag that came with that extra stuff (plus if it comes with a bag it's usually flimsy). While not intended to be a "diaper bag," the bag I chose is sort of like this one from Chicco, except better. And mine didn't cost $60.

No comments: