Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Sun In Your Heart

Do you feel at the end of your rope? Exhausted? Depressed or angry? Alone? I understand; I know how you feel, and someone else does too. He's the "big guy upstairs," and He knows all about you. So if you feel wrung out, drained, or just don't want to try anymore-- this is for you.

I'm laughing at clouds--so dark up above;
The sun's in my heart and I'm ready for love.
Let the stormy clouds chase everyone from the place--
Come on with the rain! I've a smile on my face!

For years people smiled and told me "You're in control of the way you feel. You can always control your attitude!" I still do not believe this. Especially considering physiological chemicals your body reacts to (or produces on its own), things are not always in your control. But there is something that can help, and that will cheer and lift both you and those around you that you can control: gratitude.

Make a habit of finding something to be thankful for when you feel low. Even if it's "gee those clouds look pretty," or "I'm glad I have a full tank of gas," or "I'm so glad I can walk up stairs without help," gratitude will help, I promise you. Maybe just a little, but it will help.

Storms in life are unavoidable, and many many times it seems black clouds hover only over our own heads. Instead of trying to fight the storm, because often, nothing can make the rain stop, instead use gratitude to put the sun in your heart. You'll find your own reasons to dance and sing in the rain.


Here's advice from an experienced professional:

"Will prayers that do not demand much of your thought merit much attention from our Heavenly Father? When you find yourself getting into a routine with your prayers, step back and think. Meditate for a while on the things for which you really are grateful. Look for them. They don't have to be grand or glorious. Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things like the scent of the rain, the taste of your favorite food, or the sound of a loved one's voice. Thinking of things we are grateful for is a healing balm. It helps us get outside ourselves. It changes our focus from our pains and our trials to the abundance of this beautiful world we live in."

--Joseph B. Wirthlin

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Rach! You are right on! We all need a little sunshine at times!

Abigail said...

I love this! And to tell the truth, lately I've been thinking about the same thing. (By the way, I've never believed in that, "You're in control of the way you feel. You can always control your attitude!" thing either.) Thank you so much for sharing all this.