Friday, January 22, 2010

Southern Winter Wind

I wouldn't have been surprised to see Elvira Gulch fly her Schwinn past my window.

According to my sources of weather information, there were 25-30 mph winds in Provo last night. I believe it. For the following reasons (not in chronological order):

1. This morning I discovered shingles all over my lawn from either my house, carport, or the neighbor's houses.

2. After finding our garbage can in the middle of our driveway, we moved it back into its spot by the house. An hour later it was in the street (quite a distance to travel, really. It's a long driveway). After moving it again, along with several pieces of cardboard, two snowshovels and a broom-- all which had become dislodged by the gale-- it moved again. Dylan and I then pried up bricks from a patio-type-thing in our backyard, roadblocked it, and weighed it down. (I mention this is quite the task to do with leaves swirling in your face that have been blown from clear across town!)

3. The draft coming through our kitchen "air conditioner" which is really a fan stuck in a window, Dylan and I taped over with garbage bags. The poofed-out nature of the bags after our taping was complete testifies that there was in fact, a sizable draft.

4. Moaning could be heard outside the window for hours during the night. I guess the wind was pretty morose.

5. Constant beeping could be heard from next door, which Dylan fearlessly investigated (clad in his bathrobe). Aha! It was a mere wind-chime owned by the the cat-lady next door. (Cat lady didn't spot him.) (We think.)

6. Predicting that wind force would escalate, I wisely removed my wild bird-feeder from its hanging place in the tree out front. I was worried I'd lose all the seed while it rocked in the wind. [Have a better day-- feed a winter finch!]

7. I'm still picking snarls out of my hair from all of the "wind blown" allure it received. Good grief, Charlie Brown.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Heather said it was 67mph! Geesh!

shelly said...

I was crazy weather down here in San Diego, too! Actually, I honestly don't remember rain and winds like that here EVER before! It was so wild! Must be the global warming...

Rachel EM said...

No no-- reprint: it WAS 67 mph... I was misinformed.