Friday, October 8, 2010

Be Smart

Notice something amiss?
Many websites list ideas of how you can "seem more smart." If appearing intelligent is of any concern to you, forget taking their advice and learn to spell instead. Relying on spell-check is foolhardy! It will not always be there to save you.  

Correct spelling and grammar will shine a spotlight of intelligence on you faster than your college degree can (and in many cases, more accurately than your degree). People are smart in different areas, I know-- I certainly have no gift for math.  Just trust me on the spelling, okay? There are many different ways of being smart, but few faster ways of appearing stupid than poor spelling.
 Remarkable women of intelligence who run businesses and large families are the most disappointing. These are the brilliant women who blog about roasting "marshmellows" during "lightening" storms, discuss the elementary school "principle" instead of principal, write "definitly" and "mimento," "occasionaly" "embarassing" themselves with their writing. Worst of all, blogs have spell-check!  Eeeeeew. It's just gross. 

And if you can't discern the difference between it's/its, at the very least learn when to use to/too/two.  Please.

2 comments:

Kami said...

Thanks for the post and the link. A few random thoughts:

I liked the list of commonly misspelled words. I was kind of flabbergasted by the presence of the word "bellwether" ... not something I've heard in everyday speech.

"Supersede" is definitely one of the words I'd commonly misspell because it sound like "precede". (Really, they should change it!!) It took me a while to consistently remember that "recommend" only had one "c".

Er, anyway. I loved spelling as a kid, even though I thought "because" had an "o" in it. But, dang, I'd like to say I was smart for a first grader!

Rachel EM said...

Hey! Recommend trips me up all the time! It's one of those words I always have to pause and think about-- right along with disappear. I always try to use two s's.