Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Well, that was scary.


Sunday night Dylan and I had to break a dinner appointment; we drove to Lehi (a few cities away) but then had to turn around and go home because I felt very sick and had pains. Not thinking that it was anything unusual, we just made our apologies and Dylan took me home to rest. 

When we got home, I discovered that I was bleeding profusely. As I am 13 weeks pregnant I instantly started to panic. It's not uncommon to "spot" bleed during pregnancy--I knew this-- but bright red blood in copious amounts is not good. A little later I started leaking fluid (sorry for the graphic descriptions). Fluid loss is a really bad sign. I tried not to panic, but after losing a ton of fluid I was pretty confident that I was having a miscarriage.

Background: I am allergic to my own pregnancy hormones, which is one reason I've been so sick. Weird, right? I'm allergic to my baby! Haha. Anyway. I'm taking meds to hopefully build an immunity, so Monday morning I went in to get my hormone levels checked-- make sure everything was okay on my end-- and the concerned MD asked to do a "doppler," or to check for a fetal heartbeat. 

He found one! Yay! I hadn't heard it before and it was such a relief to know my baby was still there and safe. The Doc had several hypotheses about what had caused the issue, but since a strong heartbeat is present, he ruled out the dangerous ones. Dylan and I are so happy everything's okay.

No comments: